Ready to get your bookkeeping system set up, but don't know where to start?
You need a File Setup.
Our File Setup is for you if you're a service-based business owner ready to use the power of QuickBooks Online to run your money systems easily + efficiently.
You've already heard that QuickBooks is
THE accounting software.
BUT here's what you might not know.
- Signing up for a QuickBooks subscription is just the beginning. The default settings you see in your file are only a guide, not a "plug & play" template.
- Every business has a completely unique set of bookkeeping needs. All the way from the services you sell to the payment processor you use — your system needs to be set up to work for you.
- Your bookkeeping system is a foundational piece of your business. And it should grow smoothly with you, not give you "growing pains".
- Working with QuickBooks + accounting experts means we set up a custom file you can use right away. You can enter transactions, create invoices, and get paid quickly!
What exactly do you get with a custom QuickBooks File Setup?
- A QuickBooks file to fit your specific operations. This includes customizing your Company Settings, Chart of Accounts, Items, Bank Feeds Center, Sales Tax Center, Sales Center, Client and Vendor Lists, and much more.
- An exclusive 50% discount off of your QuickBooks subscription fee for 12 months.
- Direct & daily access to Pinnacle Flow in Slack. Let's knock out anything that comes up right away.
- A Follow-up Call with Pinnacle Flow. Once we complete your File Setup, we walk you through what you need to know most right now in your file. And, of course, we answer your questions too.
- QuickBooks subscription level that aligns perfectly with your needs. Don't pay more than you need. We make sure you're in the right subscription level.
- QB Payments account activation. Start invoicing and collecting payments straight away.
- Apps recommendation + integration. Get the most out of your apps and accounting software.
- Accounting workflow best practices — recommendations + implementation.
- An easy to read and custom prepared Summary Report package, which includes the exact areas that we set up and loads of resources so you can begin using QuickBooks with confidence.
Meet Steph & Deb
When you work with Pinnacle Flow Bookkeeping, you get us — Steph & Deb. We work 2:1 with small business owners on every project we commit to.
Together, we’ve got 25+ years of hands-on experience helping happy clients navigate their unique journey in business.
Unlike many outsourced bookkeeping services, we take extra care to approach every project with a spirit of collaboration and partnership with you and your team.
Your work matters. And we’re here to support your journey.
- Steph & Deb
File Setup FAQs
Is QuickBooks Training included in the File Setup?
I'm just starting my business and I'm not sure what I need to do exactly. Where do I start?
We get that. Let's talk through the stage of business you're in right now. We'll recommend the next best steps for you to take.
Why should I hire a bookkeeper for this project?
How do I know you’re good at this?
Click here to find out what some of our clients have to say.
What's the best way to learn QuickBooks?
The best way is to dive in, and we know the software is confusing at first glance. Along with QuickBooks’ training center, we recommend playing in the "sandbox" file: QuickBooks Online Test Drive. You can change this file and it won't affect your data or your file.
What happens after the File Setup?
How long does the project take?
How involved do I need to be?
What’s your refund policy?
We commit to and put many dedicated hours into every project that comes our way.
Can we talk more about what I need?
What should I know about working with you?
We do all of our work virtually using well-known tools, such as QuickBooks Online, Rewind — for QuickBooks backups, Google Drive for document management, Zoom for calls, and Slack for direct communication between you and our team.
Do you do taxes?
No. We don’t prepare or file taxes of any kind.
And for payroll tax, Gusto is our go-to.
BEFORE & AFTER
Curious to see what a default file vs
a custom file looks like?
INCOME + COST OF GOODS SOLD BEFORE
Here’s what a Profit & Loss looks like if you’re using QuickBooks’ default accounts.
Notice how it’s not actually telling you anything.
For example, the income account “Sales” doesn’t capture where exactly those sales are from — your revenue streams / how you’re making your money.
And the Cost of Goods Sold account doesn’t tell us exactly what type of project-related expenses are there.
Let’s move on from these boring default accounts and see what a custom setup looks like just below this image.
INCOME + COST OF GOODS SOLD
Now we’re talking! Here’s info you can use.
Look at the income accounts below. They tell us the exact revenue streams, and we can use this info to see how each compares to each other time as well as what’s consistently selling the most (or not).
And Cost of Goods Sold is showing us the difference in spending across separate categories.
How would you know to cut back on technology fees if all those expenses got dumped into a generic, “Cost of Goods Sold” account?
Knowing the numbers for each category here is key to good decision making for your business.
The default accounts for Products and Services sold are “Hours” and “Sales”.
Do you invoice someone for “Sales”?
Here we have items we can use — these are the specific services you sell, and that show up on your invoice to your customer.
Now, your customer knows exactly what they purchased. Not “Sales”, but a sweet new Logo Design. YES!